The Heritage Suite is home to the City’s past, housing Hereford’s historic silver and ancient charters, as well as many other artifacts, all of which serve as a link to the City’s history. Behind each piece is a story to be told.
The Charters date back to 1189, and were historically used to validate the City’s status, given to the City by the reigning monarch of the time. Each charter comes with an elaborate seal, which usually contains an image. Some of these seals have worn down to barely recognisable shapes, while others have withstood the test of time. Our most recent charter was given to the City in 2000 from Queen Elizabeth II. This, and the other charters, are available for viewing in the museum.
The Heritage Suite opened 10th March 2018 and prior to this, the City’s ancient charters and silver were locked in the vaults beneath the Town Hall. Having now having been moved near to the Mayor’s Parlour and placed within state-of-the-art modern museum units, these relics are open to the public once more.