Hereford Rugby Club was formed.
The Club was formed in 1870 and played its early games at the Barrack Ground in Bartonsham. The first secretary was recorded as a Fredrick Wilding.
During its early years, the club played at five different venues, as well as the Barrack Ground, matches were played at Widemarsh Common, Castle Green, Portfield Meadow and Edgar Street.
Opponents at this time included Gloucester, Newport, Worcester, Kidderminster, and South Wales, in addition to sides from Ledbury, Ross, Abergavenny and Monmouth.
Hereford’s first International was James Bevan who in February 1881, captained Wales in their first international against England at Blackheath.
In the early years, the club thrived, but by the turn of the century the club had lapsed into playing only holiday games with sides made up of Varsity and Public-School men.
The Bath and West Agricultural Show was held in Hereford.
The Girls High School was founded.
The present Cathedral School Buildings were erected on the corner of Quay Street.