The chain itself was gifted to the City in 1876 and originally consisted of 17 medallions. A further 7 medallions were added later with the most recent being that of the SAS regiment. The badge of office, the large medallion at its centre, was gifted by Edwin Edward Bosley J.P. who held the office of Mayor of Hereford in 1871-2, 1872-3- and 1873-4 and also in 1893-4. Let’s just dwell upon this a moment; the origin of the coat of arms dates back as far as 1189 to Richard the Lion Heart ,who gave us the right to use his shield for the City of Hereford. This was later augmented by Charles the 1st who gave the City it’s motto “Invictae, Fidelitatis, Praemium” which translates from Latin as “the reward for faithfulness unconquered”. This important episode in Hereford’s history relates to the siege of Hereford by the ten Scottish Regiments aligned to the Parliamentary army of Oliver Cromwell.